Keeping your teeth young
About Me
Keeping your teeth young

As we get older suddenly we realised many things we didn't appreciate about being young - being fit, having smooth skin and having all your own teeth. As our loose teeth (and bridges) struggle to deal with chewier food we start eating bland mush and, there is no easy way to say this, OLD PEOPLE FOOD. I'm determined not to let that happen to me and I'm doing everything I can to keep my own teeth as long as possible, and when that's not possible to get the best possible teeth replacement. If you are like me and want to keep on eating whatever you want, I think you'll like my site. It's all about dental health and teeth replacement & maintenance.

Keeping your teeth young

Choosing the right type of a dental specialist for your issue

Mabel Hicks

When you have a toothache, you go to a dentist. But, what type of dental specialist is your dentist? In order to know which type of dentist you should visit, you should know something about the different dental specialists.

General dentists

General dentists provide care, maintenance and general dental prevention. You visit this type of a dentist when you want to clean your teeth or get cavity filling and fluoride treatments. In addition, they offer oral hygiene advice to all patients.

Oral pathologists

Oral pathologists are responsible for diagnosing the disorders and diseases affecting the face (teeth, cheeks, jawbones and lips) and mouth. In order to diagnose an issue, they rely on biochemical, radiographic and microscopic tests. They also use technologies like MRIs, CT scans and X-rays. Your general dentist can refer you to this type of dental specialist


This type of dentists specialises in the care of the tissue of the mouth and teeth (supporting tissue). This includes supporting bone and gums. You should visit this type of a dentist if you have a problem with your gums. They are specialists in diagnosing, and care and prevention of gum diseases and conditions that may affect jawbones, gums and other supporting tissues in the mouth. If you have diseases that can promote gum disease, like diabetes, you should visit this type of dentist.


Orthodontists are specialists you should visit if you have issues with teeth deformities. In a case where you have bite problems, missing teeth or you want to straighten crooked teeth, you should visit this type of dentist.


Endodontists do not treat your teeth. They specialise in root canal therapy. This also includes treating diseases that can affect pulp, nerve and veins around a tooth. In this case, you visit a general dentist, and if you need a root canal treatment, you will be referred to an endodontist.


Pedodontists are general dentists for children. If your child has a tooth issue, you should visit this type of dentist. There are differences in teeth, nerves and veins between children and adults, so it is recommended to take your child to pedodontists if needed.

Maxillofacial surgeons

The maxillofacial surgeon is a doctor you should visit when you need teeth extraction or reconstruction. They treat injuries, conditions and defects affecting the face, jaw and mouth.

The most important advice is to go to a general dentist when you experience any pain that may be linked to teeth, jaw or gum. He/she will refer you to a specialist if needed.